Thursday, August 11, 2011

Teen L.E.A.D.E.R.S. Program is Making a Difference


This week's blog post features two Teen LEADERS that put out extensive effort volunteering this summer at the Activity Station through the Teen LEADER program. Alex Adams has been a Fresno Chaffee Zoo volunteer for the last 4 years. He is 16 years old and attends University High School in Fresno and has a great interest in pursuing a major in Economics at Harvard University. Adams started out Junior Counseling at the Zoo’s Summer Adventure Camps offered for children age 5-12 and has recently split his summer volunteer hours between Junior Counseling and becoming a Teen LEADER. "I've volunteered at the Fresno Chaffee Zoo for so long because it's just a great experience," says Adams, “I'm definitely more aware of my water usage and how my actions can positively or negatively affect the environment."

The other featured Teen LEADER is Jared Price, a zoo volunteer since 2008. He is also 16 years old, attends Los Banos High and is interested in pursuing Marine Biology at San Diego State University. He started spending time at the zoo as a summer camper, then participated in the Shadow Keeper program, where he learned what it was like to be a zoo keeper, then moved on to camp junior counselor, becoming a Bird Show volunteer, and now has the title of "Teen LEADER" under his belt. Jared states, "I love the zoo- it's a part of me," and then goes on to elaborate, "From being a Teen LEADER I've learned to manage my time and guest relations. I also learned to be more conscious of my water and plastic usage."

All in all, both Alex and Jared have benefited from the program and have plenty of information to share regarding water and water habitat conservation. Come and check out the Activity Station at the Fresno Chaffee Zoo to experience the activities and games that excellent Teen LEADER volunteers like Alex and Jared have to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment